Coquitlam Brewery?

logo

Most of us are aware that Coquitlam does not yet have a brewery. Despite being a large fairly wealthy suburb current bylaws don’t allow for it. Of course that is changing, council are moving to get in on the BC Beer Boom.

In fact I know of at least one planned Brewery project in Coquitlam. Unfortunately that is all I know. With that in mind I thought it might be fun to consider where a brewery might pop up.

To my knowledge production Breweries in BC must open in industrial or semi-industrial Zoned areas (I tried to cite this but had major trouble, if anyone can please let me know).

According to this document from the city of Coquitlam (whose’ zoning map my computer refuse to open), we see most of the Industrial zoning centred in south coquitlam near the fraser river and number one highway. My best guess is a brewery would open in this area, specifically in the United Boulevard area. This is too bad as breweries are great community builder and there isn’t much community to build here.

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 9.00.29 PM

What I think would be really intriguing is Brewery in Coquitlam’s Downtown area which currently suffers without a focal point or meeting place. Granted there is a crappy pub (Charlie Hamilton’s) and a few restaurants but nothing the really pulls the community together. I personally believe a brewery tasting room could do this, but how? The zoning in the area wouldn’t allow for a production brewery but it might allow for a brew pub. Could we see a Brew-Cafe? A small scale brew pub with light easy to make food fare and a small brewing system to provide beer in house with a small scale growler fill station? It could be very viable and if anyone is interested in pursuing it, drop me a line.

250px-coquitlam_town_centre_area

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Coquitlam Brewery?

1. Mike January 26, 2016 / 5:32 am

One thing to point out. Coquitlam would allow a production brewery but no on site sales currently. Brew pubs to not fall under the same zoning as can be seen in Vancouver and Surrey locally.

• cturton January 26, 2016 / 5:45 am

Interesting, My understanding is that coquitlam is currently considering most of their liquor related policies, i hope that this might be a possibility in the future.

Liked by 1 person

2. Swampo January 26, 2016 / 6:23 am

David & Johnson commercial mall would be a great neighbourhood location

• cturton January 26, 2016 / 4:02 pm

I doubt it would workout unless it was the Cafe-brewery i mused about. Even then there is lots of red-tap as Mike points out and I would think even a small brewery needs more space than could be provided in the mall… unfortunately.

• Mike January 26, 2016 / 4:53 pm

I don’t know the mall at all but that plan worked well for Central City.

• cturton January 26, 2016 / 5:18 pm

It might work at coquitlam centre but the David and Johnson mall is a largish strip mall, in a largely residential area.

Liked by 1 person